A 2-year-old boy died after his half-sister left him in a hot vehicle parked outside a Tampa-area day care for several hours while the girl was working, a law enforcement spokesman said Wednesday.
The woman went to her job at a child-care center.
"What we understand is that about 9 o'clock this morning, a relative parked here in the parking lot and in the interim, left a two-year-old boy inside the vehicle, locked, without the engine running, and without the air conditioning", Larry McKinnon, spokesperson for the sheriff's office, said. "It doesn't matter whether you're an average citizen on the street or seasoned law enforcement".
Meteorologists with ABC's local affiliate WFTS said the temperature pushed 90 degrees Fahrenheit in Brandon on Tuesday. She then took him to a nearby dialysis center, called 911 and administered CPR. Workers there tried to help the boy, but it was too late. The grief was palpable as this family is now without one of their own, 2-year-old Jacob Manchego. It's gut-wrenching. It's physically debilitating. We all have kids, we all have children. Medical personnel inside the facility attempted to render aid until fire rescue arrived.
No charges had been filed Tuesday, according to a sheriff's office.
WHO publishes list of antibiotic-resistant bacteria needing research
Taking antibiotics without a medic's advice and not properly completing a treatment cause more trouble than you'd think. The WHO hopes that by targeting specific pathogens for which treatments are urgently needed, they can move the needle.
"We are keeping Jacobs's family in our prayers". It's unclear if the boy was enrolled in the day care.
Preliminary information indicates that the victim's half sister arrived at work with Jacob, the release states.
"Check the back seat, check your vehicles before you go inside - those campaigns have been throughout the country yet we continue to still see this tragic thing happen", McKinnon told the Times. He says the investigation into Jacob's death will leave "no stone unturned"-and he wants the death to be a reminder of "what we should do when transporting our children".
This is the second child in Florida to die in a hot auto in 2017.