Officials say a malfunctioning hotel pool heater is to blame for a carbon monoxide leak that sent 12 people to the hospital in MI.
Some victims were taken to Memorial Hospital in South Bend and another group was taken to Lakeland Michigan Hospital. A police officer and three other children were also released.
A spokeswoman for Lakeland Hospital in Niles told CNN that one person was "confirmed dead on arrival".
Police Chief Jim Millin says Bryan Douglas Watts of Niles was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Don Wise said it is not known how long the youngsters, aged from about 10 to 14, had been passed out.
Initial carbon monoxide readings were 800 parts per million in the pool area, Wise said.
The outlet reports that carbon monoxide levels were 16 times the safe limit.
According to the Niles Police Department, the carbon-monoxide leak was caused by a broken pool heater.
Garcia expecting tough Arsenal and Chelsea tests
Arsenal welcome Manchester City to The Emirates on Sunday afternoon one of the standout fixtures of the Premier League weekend. The flip-side of that argument is that having so many games against direct rivals gives you a real chance if you can win them.
Six children were found unresponsive on this pool deck.
There has been no information released about the severity of the condition of those people who were taken from the scene to hospital.
"I saw that EMS, you know, working on people just outside of the pool. and I saw one young lady just lying flat on her back motionless, foam coming out of her mouth", Nalian said. The maximum allowable by OSHA standards is 50 parts per million.
It is unclear if there was a carbon monoxide detector in the pool area.
Two hotel workers were among those hospitalized, along with several law enforcement officers who responded to the incident.
"At those levels, they don't have much time before they're going to go unresponsive", he said.
Officials are trying to find the source of the leak.